Home, Crafts, Photography, Painting, Writing, FREEBIES

Sunday, September 24, 2017

IRON THRONE FROM THE GAME OF THRONES

THE GAME OF THRONES: IRON THRONE




My sons introduced me to the Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones at this point is an Season 8. I started at Season 1 and am now on 5. I thought how cool it would be to create the Iron Throne with my own hands. 

I go to YouTube for inspiration, and I watched several ways to make an Iron Throne.  Some used styrofoam, others popsicle sticks, others polymer.  Me, I used a combination of popsicle sticks and polymer for three reasons: 1) I had those on hand. 2) I have worked with those before. 3) I wanted my throne to be a little bit different.

I made the inverted swords from popsicle sticks. The other swords with polymer.  I started by forming a ball of foil and then pressingit into a square, one of the methods I saw on YouTube. Then I added a seat back, out of cardboard, covered with foil. Using some of the polymer, I stuck the inverted swords on the back of the chair. I placed strips on the seat and covered the sides with polymer swords. I made a nine inch circle out of polymer as the base for the throne. I baked the entire structure 210 degrees for 15 minutes.

 After I was satisfied with the sword coverage, I used acrylic paint and painted the chair black.  Then, taking a smaller brush, I lightly ran gray over the lines in the swords and wood. This gave it a dusted look.  Two days later, I decided the sword handles needed something to make the details pop. I painted the handles with brass color acrylic.

I always run my projects to my honest friends. One told me to add more gray, another said I nailed it. What do you think?  

IRON THRONE GAME OF THRONES
I plan to make a few more for friends and sell a few on ETSY.

No comments:

Post a Comment